Now is a perfect time if you’re thinking about changing jobs this year. The beginning of the year is arguably one of the best times to start looking for a new job because it’s when most people are making their New Year’s resolutions to be more productive, better at their jobs, and happier. And since employers are looking to hire fresh talent early on during this period, now is your chance to be seen!
This article will go into each month and talk about the hiring seasons in Canada.
The Best Time of Year to Look For Jobs?
As we mentioned initially, January and February are the best time of year to look for a job. Hiring managers correctly just received a hiring budget. There is probably a backlog of hiring that was paused because of the holiday season.
Employees have returned to work, so the majority of the decision-makers are present, allowing you to receive a “yes” faster.
Hiring Trends in March, April, and May
Hiring managers are typically still looking to fill positions that have opened up due to employees leaving or retiring in December. You’ll also see a more significant increase in competition during these months.
Companies are also more desperate to fill positions as the summer months are coming up, and they know people will be leaving for vacation.
Hiring Trends in June, July and August
If you’re looking for a new job during this time of year, you might be disappointed with your chances of success. The summer months are typically slower for hiring because people are on vacation or out of town.
Additionally, most of the open positions at the beginning of the year are likely to be filled. This might be a good time to polish your resume or practise your interview skills and prepare for the coming months.
Hiring Trends in September, October and November
You’ll see more internal promotions than external hiring during this time because employees are settling into their roles and getting comfortable with what they know. This is a great time to make yourself valuable and look for positions inside the company you already work at.
On the other hand, many companies hire seasonal staff during this time.
Hiring Trends in December
December is typically a quiet month as most hiring activities temporarily stop during this month. Hiring managers might put off their hiring goals for the new year. People are on vacation for the holidays, and people are just slow in the wintertime.
Preparing for a Job Search
There are a few key things that you can do to help prepare yourself for a successful job search.
- Polish your resume. Make sure that it is up-to-date and accurately reflects your skills and experiences.
- Practice your interview skills. Get comfortable talking about your experience, and be prepared to answer common interview questions.
- Stay up-to-date on industry news and trends. This will help you better understand the market and demonstrate that you are knowledgeable about the industry.
- Network with people in your industry. Connect with people on LinkedIn, attend industry events, or participate in online forums. This will help you connect with potential employers and learn more about the industry.
- Don’t give up. It can be frustrating when you’ve sent out thousands of resumes and have gotten 1 or even 0 interview requests. Don’t give up hope; there are still great opportunities out there for you!
If you are thinking of changing jobs this year, now is the time to start looking for one. The best time to find a job is in January and February because employers are looking for new talent to replace employees who might have left or retired. If you’re not in that first hiring crunch, then the months of March, April, and May are also suitable for job hunting. However, expect a slow process during the summer and winter months. If you want to continue to talk about the hiring seasons in Canada, get in touch with us! Or, if you’re looking for a new job, check out our job board!